Research Associate at BioGX – Birmingham, AL
Purpose of the Position: The position executes a range of molecular biology procedures, reagent preparation, bioanalytical procedures, and laboratory duties under supervision. Performs laboratory duties while maintaining associated health and safety guidelines, and is also responsible for maintaining inventory of laboratory reagents and supplies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Responsible for the day-to-day running of experiments and data analysis in the research and development laboratory.
- Responsible for carrying out work to company standards, including documentation, accurate record keeping, and maintaining related work schedules in order to support product development timelines.
- Prepares reagents and solutions as directed, using appropriate procedural and documentation methods, including industry standard good laboratory practices.
- Performs experiments and data analysis under supervision.
- Analyze, record, and compile experimental results and reports in laboratory notebook.
- Present results at meetings as required, and proposes new strategies and methods to address immediate and upcoming technical issues.
- Responsible for maintaining R&D stockroom supplies and inventory.
- Implements the company’s health and safety policies and procedures.
- Interacts with other internal departments, as necessary, to plan and expedite project objectives.
- Provides scientific support to permit completion of development and technology transfer objectives for molecular diagnostics products.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum 1 yr molecular biology or biochemistry laboratory experience post-B.S. degree
- First hand experience with assay formatting and development, biological sample handling, nucleic acid purification, molecular biology methods and techniques including PCR, PAGE/agarose electrophoresis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to present data and results
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Word and Excel
Education and Experience: The ideal candidate will have a B.S. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular biology or related field with 2 or more years of laboratory experience. Experience as Medical Laboratory Technician is desirable.
Language Skills: Must be proficient in writing, and communicating in the English language.
Mathematical Skills: Must be consistent with B.S. level education
Reasoning Ability: Good problem solving, judgment and decision making skill are required.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: None required
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work entails regularly performing tasks while working at a computer, desk, laboratory bench, or automated instrumentation. Work may involve occasional climbing or balance. Work entails occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds. Work occasionally requires travel between buildings. This is typically completed by foot or by car.
The employee’s sensory modalities (vision, hearing, smell) and physical capabilities (ambulation without mechanical assistance, strength, coordination, dexterity, range of motion) must be sufficient to independently perform duties/functions of the position.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will involve a combination of office and biotechnology laboratory environments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hazardous chemicals, blood borne pathogens, automated equipment, and high levels of noise and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $35,000.00 – $45,000.00 per year
- Insurance: Health, Dental, Life, Disability and Vision
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible spending account
- Paid time off